Follow by Email

Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Multi-movie DVD finds at Hastings

If you have a "Hastings" in your town, I suggest you peruse the cheap bins for DVDs that contain many horror/exploitation movies in one package. I was surprised to find so many good deals at my local store. They have many Midnight Horror Collection 4-packs and 8-packs with Full Moon and Brain Damage types of movies stocked, but there are rarer finds too.
There are loads of bigger collections like Drive-In Cult Classics 16-movie Set or Savage Cinema 12-movie Collection, loaded with 70s grindhouse sleaziness and camp.
Newer obscure independent films are packed by the truckload onto badly presented DVDs with little info, so be ready to do your own research after picking up a name or two.
I couldn't believe my eyes the other day when I found a collection I'd been meaning to get for a long time. I never wanted to shill out the money for something so stupid but it was only $5! It was the Andy Sidaris Collection: Girls, Guns & G-Strings. A 12-film set of the most Joe Bob Briggs-ready 90s films.
Now on to the documentaries. What better way to end your exploitation watching than with a documentary about said films?
Corman's World about Roger Corman. It interviews practically every titan in Hollywood who ever knew him. And get this: Jack Nicholson breaks down and cries in an interview near the end.
King of the B Movies about Bill Zebub. I haven't seen it but, c'mon, it's about king dirtbag so it's gotta be interesting. Visit his Youtube channel if you're unfamiliar with him.
Screaming in High Heels about 80s and 90s B-movies and their scream queens. Haven't seen it, but I've heard mixed reviews about it. Another one that can be found relatively cheap.

4 comments:

  1. Those Mill Creek 12 packs are only $5 new. I got mine from Wal-mart but they are also in Target and K-mart. I also recently got the Drive-in Cult Classics 32 movie pack for $9.99 from Target. I think you'd enjoy that one too. Lots of duplication with the other packs though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've seen stacks of those cheap DVD bundles at $1 stores; you wouldn't think you'd find anything worth buying at the cheap-o outlets, but I've seen a good few flicks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmm haven't seen anything good myself at dollar stores but I'll look next time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I own most of them. Some are better than others, but if you love B-movies of many generation pasts, you'll have your pick.

    ReplyDelete