Follow by Email

Saturday, January 21, 2012

House of Blood (2006) Review


Warning, this review is better read by those who have seen the movie.

Where do I start with this one? House of Blood a.k.a. Chain Reaction kept surprising me. German make-up effect master and horror filmmaker Olaf Ittenbach made this a couple of years ago, so I expected a foreign horror gorefest. First of all, it's actually completely in English, the gore is nowhere as extreme as I expected and it actually kept me watching because of its story.
So four prisoners have just escaped a transport vehicle by it having an accident and giving them an opportunity to pounce. What are the odds of that happening? The prisoners question this, but it turns out the odds are quite good. The vehicle also collides with the car of a doctor. It's a good thing because one of the prisoners has been badly hurt in the ensuing firefight with the cops. They go on the run with the doc and end up at the worst house they could've possibly ended up at. Once again, what are the odds? Maybe not so low, once again.
I initially thought it was actually okay, despite the plot turns not making perfectly satisfying sense. Then I had to consult the internet to make some sense of this weird movie. Big mistake. Now I feel as though I am insane because I feel very different from every person giving their unwanted two cents on IMDB. I found it funny at several moments because it is darkly comic. The IMDB trolls say it is unintentionally funny. I really think you're missing the bizarre point and it's just meant to entertain. Also everyone who calls it the worst movie ever made cites the acting as its weakest point. I was actually pleasantly surprised by the acting. I think that was one of the things that carried it, although my view may be a bit skewed because I was just subjected to Eric Stanze's Deadwood Park which has some bad acting for the ages. Someone also mentions that they wish actor Paul Anderson (the standout) would stop trying to be Anthony Hopkins. He bares a resemblance to him but the character is really nothing like him.
My theory is that people are just extremely quick to attack anything that is straight-to-video and they don't put their mind into it because they're walking into it with an attitude. The average viewer would watch this because  they want to make fun of something or get their kicks and they feel they are supposed to have one certain, set in stone, opinion of it. They feel they are supposed to think one thing is great even though they have no reasons for it besides what Roger Ebert (or his head in a jar) has told them to believe. There's just no good reason anyone would genuinely think Sideways is a great or even decent movie.

Overall: 2.5 out of 5. I felt extra protective of it because of the undeserving bashing it received, just like another horror movie called one of the worst: Five Across the Eyes. That movie is brilliant goddammit!

5 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry. Comments got mixed up, for some reasons. What I wanted to say is that I know where you're coming from regarding this film, but I didn't dig it as much. Found it too amateurish at times. But I did enjoy it to a certain degree.

      Delete
  2. I understand. But honestly, in a genre where there are a million and one amateur films like Stupid Teenagers Must Die, this really wasn't that amateur.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I go by what horror movies make me feel in my..... well, guts, for lack of a better word.... I liked the color, embellishments on green and blue.... the imagery, the bird falling from the tree... the accents, the sadness.... the 'chain reaction' started, I think as an accident.... then, one those things got sold off humans again, couldn't help themselves. And the flashbacks? The doc lived there.... it's not a far stretch he was in an accident there as a child. We saw Alice's family feeding nearby.... anyways, I like seeing old ideas twisted into new ones and I liked the celtic feel of this one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like your thoughts on this movie. Ittenbach always manages to make very entertaining films; he doesn't strive for perfection. Those are the same qualities that have always kept me coming back to Stuart Gordon's films as well.

      Delete